Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin have decided to end their 10-year marriage, which might not come as such a shock considering the actress hasn’t always said the most positive things about the relationship.
Taking to her Goop website Tuesday, the star revealed the news in a post, titled “Consciously Uncoupling” — yeah. Don’t worry. We’re all confused.
“It is with hearts full of sadness that we have decided to part ways,” wrote Gwyn, who has two children, daughter Apple, 9, and son Moses, 7, with the Coldplay front man.
Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin Announce Plans to Separate After 10 Years Together
“We have been working hard for well over a year, some of it together, some of it separated, to see what might have been possible between us, and we have come to the conclusion that while we love each other very much, we will remain separate.
You know what else this gal has been working hard at? Spilling the beans about her imperfect marriage in multiple interviews.
And these eight quotes (with hilarious GIFs to lighten the mood) show why the breakup wasn’t exactly surprising:
1) It’s hard being married. You go through great times, you go through terrible times. We’re the same as any couple.
2) When two people throw in the towel at the same time, you break up, but if one person's saying: "Come on, we can do this," you carry on. I've learned more about myself being married than anything else. I hate to say, "We've got it worked out," because you never know what's going to happen, but we laugh, we're good friends, we like to do the same stuff.
3) I’m a very grounded, homey person and Chris is a very mad scientist, genius songwriter. So I never say, “Where are you? You should be home by now.” I never place demands on him…
Hardest part about their marriage:
4) Probably our artistic temperaments together. Artists are sensitive; there are ups and downs, mood-wise. Musicians need a certain gravitas and focus in order to write.
5) Sometimes it’s hard being with someone for a long time. We go through periods that aren’t all rosy. I always say, life is long and you never know what’s going to happen.
6) We’ve gone through some terrible times where it’s been really, really hard, but I’ve sort of come through those times with a much deeper understanding of myself. And we’re still married. We worked through it. I think it’s easier to get divorced. But I think the more you keep at it, the more you end up seeing the value in it. But man, sometimes it is not easy.
Heck, even Chris had worries about his marriage:
7) No [I don’t talk to Gwyneth a lot]. She’s been a great beard for me now, for 10 years.
Your life just got exponentially better and more stylish now you've signed up for our newsletter. Fabulousness awaits!