Just two months after Kilee Brookbank survived a devastating home explosion that left her without finger tips and covered in third-degree burns, the teen's transformation is truly remarkable.
(Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Brookbank Family, Shriners and Jessica Noll, WCPO)
"I guess I'm just lucky,' Brookbank told news station WCPO of the freak accident that burnt off 25 percent of her skin. "It makes you stronger. You don't take anything for granted. It's life changing. I know there's worse things that can happen."
While home alone on Nov. 10, Brookbank lit a candle to mask an unpleasant odor in her home. Next thing she knew, she and the house were on fire.
(Photo Credit: Courtesy of Georgetown Fire Department | Georgetown, Ohio)
After neighbors rushed to help her and called 911, the teen was transported to Cincinnati Children's Hospital, where she underwent four operations, skin grafts on her hands and two months of physiotherapy.
Brookbank can calmly recall the moment she was on fire. "It felt normal," she told WCPO. "My body felt the same, kind of numb. My hands felt different. I remember it was really hot, but it didn't hurt."
Brookbank practices picking up toothpicks in therapy. (Photo Credit: Jessica Noll | WCPO)
Investigators are still working on the cause of the fire, but believe it could have resulted from a propane gas leak.
We wish Kilee and her family the best as she continues to heal from her injuries.