It happens to you daily. You find yourself trolling on Instagram. Everything is great until you see that person you follow with the “perfect” body. He/she looks killer in that teeny tiny swimsuit. Sometimes you wish your own body looked more like that. Hey, we’re only human.
Well, get ready to have your mind blown.
About one year ago, Australian fitness instructor Mel V set out to show the world that not every “fit” body you see on the social media site is actually real.
Mel decided to post two pictures of her bikini-clad figure that were taken within 15 minutes of each other. She compared the shots in a side-by-side pic stitch. On the left, Mel appears a little fuller. On the right, her body appears to have lost weight. Spoiler alert: She didn’t lose 15 pounds in 15 minutes. In fact, a few things like lighting, stance and filter played major roles.
See her steps below:
- She got rid of the chunky “fwallet” (phone wallet).
- Slipped into slimming black bottoms that were a size bigger.
- Applied fake tanner.
- In went her hair extensions.
- Stood up a bit taller, “sucked in my guts,” pulled her shoulders back, popped that hip and baaam.
- Zoomed in on the before photo and zoomed out on the “after” photo (and added a filter because as she puts it perfectly, “filters make everything awesome).
“What’s my point? Don't be deceived by what you see in magazines & on Instagram.. You never see the dozens of other pics they took that wernt (sic) as flattering. Photoshop can make a pig look hotter then (sic) Beyonce,” she wrote.
Take a look at the other gals (and even a dude!) who followed in Mel’s footsteps below: