Welcome to your skin check-in with Life & Style’s resident health and beauty expert, Dr. Will Kirby, a celebrity dermatologist and Chief Medical Officer of LaserAway. Every week, he’ll be spilling his candid thoughts and professional advice on all things skin, beauty and wellness as it relates to you — and your favorite stars.
With quarantine in full effect and with the entire nation putting a premium on social distancing, I thought I would touch base with my dermatology colleagues all over the country to find out what they themselves are doing at home to maintain their pristine complexions!
Decadent Hydrating Facial Mask:
Dr. Deanne Mraz Robinson offers up “a hydrating mask that works as good as it tastes”!
- Mash a half an avocado in a small bowl
- Mix in one and a half tablespoons of organic honey
- Gently stir in 1 tablespoon of dark cocoa powder
- Apply to a clean face
- Let dry for 15 mins, then rinse off
This luxurious formulation will hydrate dry, irritated skin. See, the avocado contains moisturizing fats, the honey is antibacterial, and the cocoa powder contains anti-inflammatory properties. Apply this mask twice a week for gorgeous, glowing, supremely hydrated skin.
Gentle Exfoliating Facial:
Dr. Ted Lain states, “Oh, man! This is right up my alley!”
- Take 1/4 of a cup of organic Greek yogurt
- Add 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Gently layer and then mix in 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Apply to a clean face in a circular motion with a tiny bit of pressure
- Leave on three to five minutes, then rinse
The yogurt contains lactic acid for brightening, the turmeric has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, and the sugar is a safe exfoliant. Apply weekly to brighten your complexion!
Complexion Refreshing Facial Mask
Dr. Annie Chiu says, “I’m wearing one right now actually!”
- Take 1/3 of a regular-sized cucumber and blend it up
- Add two tablespoons of fresh papaya to the cucumber pulp
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of dead sea salt
- Gently apply to the mixture to the face in an upwards motion and lightly massage in for three minutes
- Let it sit in place for an additional ten minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water
The cucumber is calming for sensitive skin and the enzymes in the papaya will offer a mild chemical exfoliation while the slow dissolution of the salt will provide a gentle mechanical scrub. With a weekly application of this facial mask, your skin will appear more youthful and refreshed!