Stay safe, girl! On Oct. 23, Meghan Markle was rushed out of a Fiji marketplace due to a “security risk.” The pregnant royal’s safety was compromised by “massive crowds,” a Kensington Palace representative told Associated Press. Additionally, one royal aide revealed to Daily Mail that the conditions were “hot, humid, and uncomfortably busy.” Don’t worry, though, Meghan is OK!
Originally, the Duchess of Sussex had planned for a 20-minute meet and greet with a group of female stallholders from the UN Women’s project “Markets for Change.” However, Meghan was only able to spend a quick six minutes in the market before being hurried away to safety by security personnel.
“She met everyone she was meant to meet and left,” the royal aide explained. “There would have been a lot of people who would have been keen to meet her but she did meet those who had hoped to.”
That said, one of the female stallholders slated to meet the 37-year-old was particularly disappointed: “It is such a shame as we were all very excited to meet her. We started preparing for the visit three weeks ago and had been meant to meet her but she left without even saying hello.”
Considering Meghan and her husband, Prince Harry, are expecting their first child in Spring 2019, it’s not surprising that extra security measures are being taken. As it stands, the happy couple has completed about half of their first royal tour together. Meghan and Harry began their excursion in Australia earlier this month for the Invictus Games. Once they depart from Fiji, they will visit the Kingdom of Tonga and New Zealand.
Here’s hoping that this most recent security snafu was just a one-time thing!
Join our Facebook group for the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle, and all things royal!