
(Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
What Happened to the ‘Dancing With the Stars’ Results Show? Tom Bergeron Says It’s Time to Bring It Back
Longtime Dancing With the Stars fans will remember when the hit ABC competition series aired not once, but twice a week — one night for the dazzling performances and another for the dramatic results. The second episode, known as the DWTS results show, was packed with suspense, live performances, and behind-the-scenes moments that made the elimination process feel like its own event.
That format changed in 2013, when ABC condensed the series into a single two-hour episode each week. Since then, all the dancing, voting, and eliminations have been squeezed into one night — a move that, while convenient for programming, shortened the window for fans to cast their votes, especially those watching on the West Coast.
Now, former host Tom Bergeron — who fronted DWTS for 28 seasons — is making it clear that he wants the old format back. While serving as a guest judge on season 34 this week, Bergeron took a moment to make a heartfelt plea to producers.
“The ratings have proven it’s time to bring back the results show,” he told The Hollywood Reporter. “I always mourned the loss of that Tuesday show.”
Bergeron’s comments come during one of the most successful DWTS seasons in years, with cohosts Alfonso Ribeiro and Julianne Hough announcing record-breaking voting numbers week after week. Fans have been vocal online, too, echoing Bergeron’s wish to bring back the second episode that once helped build anticipation and gave more viewers a chance to vote.
The results show originally gave the series its signature blend of tension and fun — often featuring live performances from chart-topping artists and exclusive rehearsal footage. It also allowed fans to fully digest the previous night’s dances before seeing who made it through to the next round.
But when ABC decided to simplify its schedule more than a decade ago, the network merged the performances and eliminations into one night. While it made sense for the network, it came at the cost of a beloved fan tradition.
This week’s episode ended with fan-favorite contestant Andy Richter and his partner Emma Slater being eliminated just before the semifinals — and fans online immediately began calling for a return to the results show format.
With Dancing With the Stars thriving again in the ratings and longtime viewers feeling nostalgic, Bergeron’s request might be one that ABC can’t ignore for much longer.
Conversation
All comments are subject to our Community Guidelines. Life & Style does not endorse the opinions and views shared by our readers in our comment sections. Our comments section is a place where readers can engage in healthy, productive, lively, and respectful discussions. Offensive language, hate speech, personal attacks, and/or defamatory statements are not permitted. Advertising or spam is also prohibited.











