Your life just got exponentially better and more stylish now you've signed up for our newsletter. Fabulousness awaits!
MTV star and filmmaker Andrew Jenks spends a lot of his time on the road, documenting the lives of people for his hit MTV reality series World of Jenks (the new season premieres March 4 at 11:00 p.m. ET/PT).
We've learned a lot about the compelling people Andrew's filmed, but Life & Style wanted to learn more about the filmmaker himself so we sat down with him at MTV studios and turned the questions on him.
Check out the 10 things you should know about the 26-year-old below:
1. He Googles Himself"Anyone who says they don’t Google search their name is lying," Andrew says. "There is no way that people haven’t done it. I certainly will read a review or whatever. You just can’t get too caught up in that stuff."
2. You Wouldn't Find Him Watching Jersey ShoreHe might be on MTV, but he never watched Snooki and the gang cavorting around the Jersey Shore. "I watch Morning Joe every morning," he says. "I DVR it, so if I miss it, I watch it at night. I watch the West Wing and Homeland. I can’t stand most television."
3. He Has A Celeb CrushThe Boy Meets World fan had quite the encounter! After some of the tweets he made about the series started trending, he caught the attention of show’s star Danielle Fishel (Topanga). "Topanga sent me a Tweet and it was like 'hey nice to meet you, so happy you like Boy Meets World.'" Andrew says. "That was my favorite celebrity moment."
4. However, Spike Lee Is Not A Fan"Spike Lee never looks me in the eye and I’ve met him twice!" Andrew says of the famous director. "He won’t really even acknowledge that I’m there." Andrew says the director even ignored him at the Tribeca Film Festival one year when they both had films playing.
5. He Wrote a BookAlong with having his hit show, Andrew also found time to write a book that was released March 1, Andrew Jenks: My Adventures as a Young Filmmaker. "It’s a big hardcover book with a ton of pictures that I think really bring a certain life to it that otherwise wouldn’t have existed," he says.
6. His Mom Has His Back Don't mess with Mama Jenks! "My mom was on Facebook during season one and people write ridiculous things. I remember there was one thing someone wrote and my mom responded, 'that’s not true, you don’t know what you’re talking about!' And it said Nancy Jenks and I was like, 'Mom, you are no longer participating in this.’”7. He Gets Fashion Advice From His SubjectsWhen it comes to fashion, Andrew enlisted the help of Kaylin, an aspiring fashion designer struggling with cancer — one of the three subjects he documents this season. "Kaylin’s big thing was, if you dress right, you look good, you feel good, and I kind of liked that idea," Andrew says, "All I would wear were V-necks, and it would just be a different color so I’d wear a green one, a blue one, and I thought I was being pretty stylish. And then she told me one night, ‘Yeah, V-necks are really not that cool.’”
8. He's Had His Own HardshipsWhile filming this year's emotional season, Andrew was also dealing with his own misfortune back at home. "While we were shooting the show, my mom got cancer," he says. "Luckily, she’s fine and it’s all good, but it was really tough to be on the road every day and be with other people, knowing that your mom’s in the hospital, and kind of not sure if you’re doing the right thing because I love my mom. I’m very close with my family."
9. He's A Minimalist Being on the road has made Andrew learn that less is more— especially when it comes to decorating his apartment. "I have a rug and a working fridge," he says of his lack of furniture. "I have a bed and a massive television for no reason. It's hurting my eyes."
10. Don't Bother Asking To Be On His Show"People will come out of the woodwork and be like 'oh I have a great story' and they’ll put on a show," Andrew says. "So a lot of times I’m looking for people that aren’t reaching out and people that almost don’t want to be on television."
Be sure to tune in and watch the World of Jenks when it premieres tonight, March 4, at 11 p.m. ET on MTV!