Lesson learned — never share your makeup.
Jo Gilchrist, a young mother-of-one, will spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair after getting a staph infection from her friend's makeup brush that she used to cover a pimple.
"My friend did have a staph infection on her face and I was using her brush just before. I had no idea that could even happen, I used to share with my friends all the time," she told 'Daily Mail Australia.' "[She] feels horrible, but it's not her fault at all. I just had a low immune system and it was the perfect breeding ground for the bacteria."
The infection was so severe that it eventually attacked her spine. She's been hospital ridden ever since as doctors frantically try to rid her body of the bacteria.
Jo and her son, Tommy. (Photo Credit: Jo Gilchrist)
"It started as a little ache in my back and I thought it was my bad posture, but it kept getting worse and worse," she continued. "I was in incredible pain and nothing would work. I honestly thought I was going to die — the pain was worse than childbirth."
Though the situation isn't ideal, the 27-year-old feels thankful that the infection didn't go to her brain, as she wouldn't have survived. She plans to continue to fight each day and take proper care of her two-year-old son, Tommy.
"I'm fighting this with all I've got and I'm starting to learn to walk again. Two weeks ago they said I might be able to walk for an hour or two a day — like grocery shopping, washing up and hanging the washing out. I'm happy with that. I honestly didn't even expect that."
(Photo Credit: Jo Gilchrist)
Your life just got exponentially better and more stylish now you've signed up for our newsletter. Fabulousness awaits!