Running 90 minutes long, the Emmys were jam-packed with headlining moments last night.
From surprising wins and hilarious segments to show-stopping performances, take a look at our top 10 list (in no order) below:1) Jane Lynch Honors Cory MonteithThroughout the evening, actors and actresses remembered those close to them who passed away in their industry. But there was barely a dry eye when Jane spoke about her late Glee co-star Cory Monteith, who died from a drug overdose in July. "Cory was a beautiful soul. He was not perfect, which many of us here tonight can relate to. His death is a tragic reminds of the rapacious, senseless distraction that can be brought on by addication," she said. Edie Falco's words about her late Sopranos co-star James Gandolfini also left the audience looking for Kleenex. "You all knew James Gandolfini the actor, I was lucky enough to know Jim the man," she said.
2) Modern Family Wins Big -- Again!For the fourth year in a row, the cast and crew took home the win for Outstanding Comedy Series! It also added an Emmy for Best Directing. "I cannot begin to express to you how surreal this ride has been, because none of us grew up feeling like winners," said Modern Family creator Steven Levitan. "So thank you to the bullies, to the popular kids, to the gym teachers who taunted us, who rejected us and who made fun of the way we ran. Without you we never would have gone into comedy!"3) Michael Douglas' Gay Sex Jokes and Elton John's Performance for LiberaceWhen Michael won Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie for his role as Liberace in Behind the Candelabra, no one was prepared for the hilarious jokes he was about to make. As everyone is quite aware, his onscreen character was a gay man. In the film, Matt Damon played his onscreen lover. "This is a two-hander...," he said laughing as he thanked Matt. The audience couldn't stop laughing. He continued, "You're only as good as your other hand. you were magnificent and the only reason I'm standing here is because of you. So you really deserve half of this. Do you want to the bottom or the top?" Before the win, Michael and Matt introduced Elton John, who performed "Home Again" dedicated to Liberace.
4) Jeff Daniels' Surprising WinThe Newsroom star took home the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series, which really surprised him! He beat out top contenders Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad and Kevin Spacey in House of Cards. "Well, crap. Didn't expect this!" he said in his speech.
5) That Awesome Choreography RoutineNeed we say more?
6) Tina Fey and Amy Poehler Heckling Neil Patrick HarrisDuring NPH's opening monologue, Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon, Conan O'Brien and Jane Lynch all interrupted him to share some hosting advice. But it was Tina and Amy, sitting front row in 3-D glasses, munching on popcorn, who really brought the LOLs during the segment. "We've got some advice for you," they said. Tina quipped, "Take your pants off," with Amy adding, "Twerk it! Work that twerk." As they urged him to take his pants off, NPH said it would be "degrading." Amys response? "It would be degrading. But we would be degrateful." When NPH asked why they were wearing 3-D glasses, Tina teased, "So we can see your business up close! America needs to see what you're working with!" Fast forward to the 6:40 mark:
7) The How I Met Your Mother Host InterventionNPH's HIMYM co-stars are concerned for him -- concerned that he hosts so much! Alyson Hannigan, Josh Radnor, Colbie Smulders and Jason Segel taped a segment for the Emmys titled "EHD," which stands for "Excessive Hosting Disorder." In it, they hold an intervention for him -- with the infamous intervention banner from the show! Arsenio Hall comes out, drags him to The Ryan Seacrest Center for Excessive Hosting and it's an instant classic.8) Will Ferrell's KidsWho closed the Emmys ceremony? The comedian and his three boys -- in very dressed-down attire! In the hilarious bit, Will's kids, Magnus, 9, Mattias, 6, and Axel, 3, heckle him onstage. "Unfortunately Helen Mirren and Maggie Smith dropped out at the last second and they called me literally 45 minutes ago and I couldn't find child care, OK?" Will told the audience. "We had a soccer game, there was a neighbor's birthday party, a nut allergy, I didn't have time to do my hair. It doesn't matter, it's great to be here."
9) Merritt Wever's "I Gotta Go" SpeechIn what's been dubbed as possibly the shortest and greatest speech ever, the Nurse Jackie star was shocked when she won Outstanding Supporting Actress for a Comedy Series. So shocked that she couldn't mutter more than eight words!
10) Tony Hale Serves as Julia Louis-Dreyfus' Real Life AideRight before Julia won for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy for Veep, co-star Tony Hale took home an emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy. But when Julia won, Tony assisted her onstage. Explanation: On the show, his character, Gary, is always hovering over her character, Vice Prsident Selina Meyer. He's always holding her bag and whispering in her ear -- which is actually what he during her speech.
Your life just got exponentially better and more stylish now you've signed up for our newsletter. Fabulousness awaits!