Joe Jonas really doesn’t hold back in his new telling piece in New York Magazine.
From smoking marijuana for the first time with Demi Lovato and Miley Cyrus (eek!) and admitting he lost his virginity at 20 to what really happened with the Jonas Brothers breakup, the 24-year-old singer opens up about many topics in his essay titled “Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother.” Trust us, it's a juicy and good read!
Jonas Brothers Explain Band's Split
We’ve pulled out 13 of the most shocking things we learned from the piece, which is out on stands Dec. 9. Check ‘em out below:
1) His Brother Nick Is the Reason Behind the Jonas Brothers ExistenceWe never really had an idea of making music together, but years later when Nick was working on his debut album, Nicholas Jonas, Kevin and I genuinely wanted to write with him. So we wrote a song together in the living room called “Please Be Mine,” which we thought would just be for Nick. But when our dad heard us, he said we should play it for David Massey, who was A&R-ing Nick’s project at the time. He had signed a lot of brother bands—Oasis, Good Charlotte—and when we went in and sang the song for him, he told us he wanted to sign us as a group.
2) Joe Came Up With the Band NameI’ll never forget our first concert: We were named J3—and we hated the name. It felt like something a boy band would be called. I remember turning to my brothers before that show and saying, “Do you want our name to be J3 for the rest of our lives?” When we got onstage, I was the one to announce to the crowd, “Hey, we’re the Jonas Brothers.” Nice and simple.
3) He Wasn’t Allowed to Grow Facial Hair During Filming of Their Show, JONAS L.A., on DisneyI had to shave every day because they wanted me to pretend like I was 16 when I was 20 (when the show was done, I cut my hair off and grew as much of a beard as I could).
4) What Really Happened During Vanessa Hudgens’ Nude-Photo ScandalWe were working with Disney in 2007 when the Vanessa Hudgens nude-photo scandal happened. We heard that she had to be in the Disney offices for a whole day because they were trying to figure out how to keep her on lockdown.
5) Joe Lost His Virginity at 20We decided to take the [promise] rings off a few years ago. I lost my virginity when I was 20. I did other stuff before then, but I was sexually active at 20. I’m glad I waited for the right person, because you look back and you go, “That girl was bats—t crazy. I’m glad I didn’t go there.”
6) He’s Very Aware of Heidi Montag and Spencer PrattI didn’t want to become Heidi and Spencer, so I kept relationships quiet. I lived in a bubble of just me, my brothers, my band, and the people I went on tour with. That’s how I ended up dating a lot of people in the business, because you relate to them, you’re on the same schedule, and honestly, it was exciting. In the back of my mind, it felt special to date someone who was also famous.
Demi Lovato Talks Faith, Travel Plans, and How "Neon Lights" Was Her "Grown-Up Video"
7) Could Racy Joe Pics Exist?!I used to sneak out and hook up with this one girl in her car, and some rumor came out along the lines of: “Teen pop star seen in the back of a car, in a parking lot, hooking up,” and the write-up was kind of explicit. I kept thinking, Oh my God, there’s going to be video, there’s going to be photos. The girl was also in the business, and we thought we were screwed because we were both working with Disney. It would have been the worst thing we could think of happening to us. But nothing ever came out!
8) On His Relationship With DemiI really got to know her and got to see the ins and outs of what she was struggling with, like drug abuse. I felt like I needed to take care of her, but at the same time I was living a lie, because I wasn’t happy but felt like I had to stay in it for her, because she needed help. I couldn’t express any of that, of course, because I had a brand to protect.
9) Miley and Demi’s Drug InfluenceThe first time I smoked weed was with Demi and Miley. I must have been 17 or 18. They kept saying, “Try it! Try it!” so I gave it a shot, and it was all right. I don’t even smoke weed that often anymore. I was caught drinking when I was 16 or 17, and I thought the world was going to collapse. But I was in another country, and it was legal there. My 21st birthday, I fell down a flight of stairs. I was unconscious that time, and my whole team was scared to death that somebody was going to get a picture. Now I appreciate wine or a vodka-soda at the end of the day every once in a while.
10) His First Real RelationshipWhen I was 20, I started dating Ashley Greene, and she was my first serious relationship. We were together for almost a year. I was living out in L.A. by myself, and at the end of the day, long distance didn’t work. It’s incredibly difficult. I did a cover story with Details acknowledging the relationship, and the day after it was on newsstands, we announced our breakup.11) He’s Hooked Up With FansI remember I invited a fan to a movie, and we just made out the entire time.
12) Record Execs Wanted Him to Be the Next Justin TimberlakeI think it [his solo album] was rushed, and I couldn’t speak up because I was scared to. They wanted me to be this Justin Timberlake clone. Even one of the heads of Hollywood Records said, “He’s the new Justin Timberlake!”
Was Miley Cyrus' AMAs Performance More Controversial Than the VMAs?
13) On the Jonas Brothers’ Breakup[It] was going on for a lot longer than a lot of people thought. We hit a place where we just weren’t jelling on the same things, and we didn’t want to become a band that was worried about the fact that people didn’t understand how cool we were. The whole situation was breaking us up as a family, and we ultimately felt like we were holding each other back. I wanted to go sexier with a video, for example, and Kevin wasn’t comfortable with that, for his reasons. I mean, he’s married, and I get that. Nick also had a louder voice than me and Kevin when it came to music and major decisions—he took a leadership role in the band, which got to us after a while.
Your life just got exponentially better and more stylish now you've signed up for our newsletter. Fabulousness awaits!